Hockey My Door to Europe details the author’s personal - sometimes harrowing - experiences covering international hockey, especially behind the Iron Curtain, including the start of youth hockey exchanges between Canada and communist countries.
The book also provides an in-depth view of the following events:
- The author’s detainment by the Czechoslovak secret police in 1983;
- The nuclear plant explosion in Chernobyl, which occurred during the 1986 World Championship in Moscow;
- The defection of Soviet hockey star Alexander Mogilny following the 1989 World Championship in Stockholm;
- The fall of the Berlin Wall, which took place in November of 1989 while the author was in Moscow;
- The uprising in Kiev, Ukraine, which occurred during the 2014 Winter Olympics in Sochi, Russia, leading to Russia’s annexation of Crimea.
Exchange or store credit within 30 days. We do NOT OFFER REFUNDS. But our team is here and happy to help you find something else! Sale items and custom order items are always final sale.
LOCAL PICKUP & Shipping
Shop online and pick up at our Toronto store by appointment on Saturdays only. Shipping: Get FREE SHIPPING on all orders over $75 in Canada and $250 on orders in the US. Please note, due to the increased COVID-19 lockdown measures, it will take us longer to fulfill orders. We are aiming to ship all in-stock items within 3 business days, and we appreciate your patience during this time.
support small business
Make a purchase. Buy a gift card. Follow us on Instagram. Sign up for our newsletter. There are so many ways to support small businesses like ours right now. We really appreciate it!